Saturday, May 27, 2006

What is this blog about?

This is my first attempt at setting up and writing a blog on the Internet. For the time being, it is going to be a one way dialogue - until I have had a chance to explore its possibilities. In time, I'd like it to be a place where we can talk about Geography together but for now I am going to use it as a sort of diary. I may not write every day but when I come across an interesting web site, or a resource or an image of the world which I want you to share, I will post it here.

Here are some things which you might like to look at this week:

Form 1 : You have been studying crime. Recently you learned how to use a GIS to track crime (remember the Ordnance Survey Map Zone GIS exercise which we did in class http://mapzone.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/giszone/index.htm ) Well, here is another real life GIS about crime in Chicago which you could explore. http://www.chicagocrime.org

Form 2 : You have almost finished your unit on Globalisation and fashion. Here is something to make you think the next time you buy a pair of trainers...





This comes from the Clean Clothes campaign's website which you can find at http://www.cleanclothes.org




Form 3 On Thursday we are off on fieldwork around Dundee. For those of you who haven't yet seen them (though they are difficult to miss!) you will have a chance to see the wind turbines which are helping Michelin make tyres out of thin air.




Michelin hope the turbines will produce one third of their energy requirements and save the atmosphere the addition of 7000 tonnes of CO2.


On Thursday remember to bring waterproofs and wear shoes which are comfortable for walking.


Form 4 You are going to start Higher work this week. Here are three websites you might like to explore....
1) Microsoft are now in competition with Google Earth http://live.local.com Click on 'aerial' to find high res images of many areas around Dundee for which GE does not have coverage
2) The Higher Physical Geography course starts with glaciation. Glaciers on Line is a superb site including images and explanations about glaciers all over the world. Check it out at
http://swisseduc.ch/glaciers
3) There are some interesting maps showing the world as you've never seen it before at
http://www.sasi.group.shef.ac.uk/worldmapper

Forms 5 and 6 Good luck with your exams on Monday! I'll be thinking of you.