Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Another 'Geont'?

Having said that I wasn't venturing far this summer, I have been off on another brief 'geont'. This time it was a long weekend in north Norfolk to meet up with some virtual colleagues - a group of Geography teachers who normally only 'meet' over the Internet. We stayed in Burnham Deepdale (see map!) and spent the weekend exploring a stretch of coastline which was new to most of us.

On Saturday we took a boat trip to Blakeney spit formed by centuries of deposition resulting from longshore drift....The west end of the spit is a great place to see a very large seal colony...




























...and some lovely 'empty spaces'
...where sea lavender blooms in the salt marshes ...under huge Norfolk skies

Later we walked and waded across the Stiffkey saltmarshes. There is very little of this type of habitat in Scotland so click the link to read more about it and its unique vegetation. This photo shows a saltmarsh 'creek' at low tide.

The saltmarsh finally gives way to a broad beach with wonderful ripple marked sand....




Sunday was a beautiful day - summer finally seemed to have arrived - and we headed for another coastal environment.


This time it was the Holme Dunes NNR . Although this is predominantly an area of sand dunes , there is an expanse of salt marsh which in the past engulfed some trees which now remain like standing stones.....


...under a huge Norfolk sky .













The dunes, on this lovely summer Sunday were almost deserted. Where was everybody?!

Judging by the next photo they were all in Hunstanton which lies about 10 miles west.Hunstanton is a very typical seaside resort complete with pony rides, buckets and spades and unusual zig zag groynes....















I came back to Dundee yesterday but had an hour to put off in another English cathedral city while waiting for a train connection. ( The last time, in case you didn't work it out, was York.)

So yesterday I had another wander and took these photos of a cathedral which is unique because of its octagonal wooden tower...
Where was I? Here are some more clues... the cathedral and the city it serves occupy a 'dry point site' on a low rise above the flattest land in England....










..and here is a road sign I passed on the way back to the station. With an atlas and a bit of 'Googling' you should be able to work out where I had my stopover.