Saturday, April 28, 2007

Earth shattering news from Kent... and other matters

An earthquake measuring 4.3 on the Richter scale shook parts of Kent earlier today. The epicentre was in the English channel just a few miles off the coast from Folkstone. Five streets in the town had to be evacuated because of structural damage - mainly to roofs and chimneys. Click on the map and you will link to the BBC report of the 'quake. You can also read some eyewitness accounts here and here and study the question and answer page about the kent earthquake here.

The BBC website carries a series of images of the structural damage like the one below and you can view the others by clicking on it.

On another subject altogether.... after the incredibly mild weather of the last few weeks,it will not come as a surprise to learn that April is set to be another record breaking month weather-wise. Throughout the UK average temperatures for April have been between 2 and 3 degrees warmer than the long term average. Three degrees may not sound a lot to you but if that kind of warming was repeated every month over a number of years, the consequences for our planet would be very serious indeed.

You can read more about this exceptional month by clicking on the graph.

Personally, it is not the climate I am concerned about right now. I want to know what the weather is going to be like for the next 48 hours! By this time tomorrow the Bronze D of E groups in Form 3 and their supervisors will have set up camp as part of their training expedition. We will be camped around the shores of beautiful Loch Ordie - about 10 km north of Dunkeld.
Hopefully, any Form 4 pupils who are reading this posting and have been revising weather ahead of their exams, will be able to understand from the synoptic chart below (for midnight
tomorrow) why I am quite relaxed about the weather. What type of pressure system will be dominating the weather? Will I need to be prepared for rain? Why? Do I need to pack sun tan cream? What will the temperatures be like at night? What direction will the winds be coming from? Will they be light or strong? Why might the weather be better in Dunkeld on Monday morning than in Dundee?

I will report back on Monday evening with some photos and I'll tell you how the weather turned out!