Sunday, March 18, 2007

D of E Bronze Group Training Day

I spent the day today in the Sidlaws with the Bronze D of E groups who were having a training day and was reminded how lucky we are to have 'real' hills to practise in just half an hour from school. Admittedly, the strong wind was straight out of the north and so it was very cold but the scenery was beautiful. From the discussions I was having with the group I was navigating with, most were well travelled within Europe and beyond yet very few, if any, had ever been walking in the Sidlaws!

Here are some photos I took today. Hopefully, they might tempt others to explore our local hills!

You can see where these photos were taken from if you call up the OS Get-a-map pages , click 'I want to get a map' and then put NO354397 into the search box. You will be offered a map at the 1:25,000 scale. By clicking the second largest circle under 'zoom and navigate', this will change to 1:50,000 . The photo above is taken from the SE corner of the grid box containing Auchterhouse Hill and looks towards the summit though the actual summit is hidden from view. The next image shows my group approaching the top of Auchterhouse Hill where, as you can see from the map, there was once an Iron Age fort.....

From the top there are excellent views back towards Dundee, the estuary of the Tay and out to the North Sea...It's a good spot for a 'breather'...

No comments: