Thursday, January 11, 2007

Comet McNaught (and penguins)

You may have been lucky enough to spot Comet McNaught on your way home from school this week. It has been visible in clear portions of the southwestern sky between about 4.30 and 5.15pm. I watched it for some time this evening from Broughty Ferry. It was low in the sky above the Fife end of the road bridge as I looked upriver.

I was interested to read in this morning's 'Courier' that the comet does, in fact, have a Dundee connection since it is named after Robert McNaught, a former member of Dundee Astronomical Society, who now lives in Australia.

If you haven't seen the comet yet, click on the image above and you will link to the BBC webpage which carries information and pictures about it.



And on another subject altogether, there are whole flocks of penguins on the beach in South Georgia this evening.....
If this makes no sense to you, then you haven't been reading the blog and you need to read the postings for June 13th and the 14th and 21st December!