Friday, January 05, 2007

Happy Stew Year!

Happy New Year or should that be Happy Stew Year! After a year of temperature records in the UK in 2006, climate experts are telling us to expect a world record breaking 2007.
The graph below shows the global warming trend and, in particular, the steady increase in temperatures since 1980 when compared to the long term average.
It seems that there is a 60% probability that 2007 will turn out to be the world's warmest year on record beating the previous record year of 1998. Climate scientists point to a combination of an el Nino event and the established global warming trend. The coincidence of both of these may well cause a marked rise in global temperatures this year.

You can read more about the predictions on the Met Office website and in an article from The Independent . If you want to learn more about el Nino, you might like to read what I wrote on the Higher Geog Blog www.highergeogblog.blogspot.com in the posting for 17th Sept 2006.

However, just to prove that it still can be cold and snowy, here are a couple photos which I took last week in the French Alps! The beautiful anticyclonic weather (F4 - this should make sense to you!), produced some of the most stunning scenery I have ever witnessed in the Alps.




As you will see, I never miss the chance for a spot of advertising! Check out the Higher Geog Blog If you'd like to see some more of my holiday snaps and read more about winter anticyclones.